Saturday, May 14, 2011

Here We Go

The time has come to embark on this great journey, half way around the world to a place whose stories I’ve heard do not do it justice. Only having truly been out of the country once (about a month ago) to Canada, which is not exactly another country, I am very nervous yet excited to see the drastic change in culture we’ll see stepping foot in Bulgaria. Our flight leaves at 1:00 p.m. Sunday the 15th. We will be traveling from Nashville, to Washington D.C., to Frankfurt, Germany, to Sofia, Bulgaria. All 19 of us will be spending a few days in Sofia, Bulgaria’s Capital, for some training before we head out to our various destinations across eastern Europe. Bethany, Davina, Daniel, and I will be in the small town of Vidrare. Here we will be working in an orphanage for disabled children who have been abandoned by their parents during the mornings of the first few days every week. Then we will head over to a local school to have some fun the some of the kids. One day every week we will be traveling to another near by town to take some wise, old, Bulgarian elders on walks outside their retirement home. Hopefully we’ll be able to pick up on the language and catch some tasty traditional Bulgarian grandma recipes. Another day we will likely be teaching English to high school kids. I look forward to just sitting and trying to teach English, while being taught and attempting to learn Bulgarian at the same time. I am so excited, and fearful of what I am stepping into. I cannot wait to see how God is going display his love during these three months. The relationships we will build doing all of these things is truly what this trip is about. Watching a movie at my house tonight, with a group of my closest friends, I realized how much I am going to miss everybody. But even though these friends will be missed, I look most forward to meeting new lifelong friends to live with, love with, and grow with.

Thank you so much for helping us get here. Thank you for your prayers, and please continue to pray for us. I pray that God uses me however he sees fit.

Grace and Peace
Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment